Department of Citizen Services
DIVISION OF YOUTH SERVICES
The Division of Youth Services provides an array of services to assist the needs and rehabilitate detained youths from their involvement in criminal activities and from a life of crime. This goal is to provide and to facilitate a variety of programming to meet the physical, sociological and overall needs of each youth admitted to the Essex County Juvenile Detention Center.
Under the direction and oversight of the Administration, the Essex County Juvenile Detention Center provides a safe and structured environment. Housing, medical, recreation, education, holistic and social services are provided for detained youth ages 9 to 17.
The Division of Youth Services offers a variety of programs.
RECIDIVISM PREVENTIVE PROGRAMMING
– Educational Studies (High School, GED, College Prep)
– Religious Services
– Behavioral Modification (Point System)
– Mentoring Program.
COMMUNITY SUPPORT PROGRAMMING
– Consequences of Crime Component
The Consequences of Crime’s (COC) mission and objective is three-fold: 1) to reduce the increasing cime rate among Essex youth, 2) rebuild an open and trustworthy relationship between juveniles, their parents/guardians and the community, and 3) to bring about a positive change in the youth attending the program. The COC is a 6-hour crime prevention program, which provides at-risk youth with a realistic look at life behind bars.
– Workshop & Lecture Component
Workshops, lectures and presentations are available to parents/guardians, schools, community organizations, law enforcement agencies, etc. covering the following topics:
– Teen drug and alcohol awareness, and addictions
– Leadership & Empowerment (helping teens discover a dream, a future, and a second chance).
– Cultural Diversity
– Communication & Social skills (breaking the silence).
– Job readiness
– Anger management
– Peer Mediation
– Teen parenting skills
– Youth council (building positive leaders).
– Consequences from gang violence and related activities.
– Developing an aftercare approach for youths getting ready to re-enter society.
– Developing outreach strategies for on-going support & resources for youth re-entering their community.
– Gang awareness forums to assist parents in identifying their youth’s interest in gangs & related activities
– Identify the signs of substance and/or alcohol abuse
FAMILY SUPPORT AND REFERRALS
The social services, mental health department and other external organizations coordinate referrals to provide continued support for Essex youth and their families.
HONOR GUARD UNIT
Detention officers represent the County at parades, community events, and funerals.
Essex County Youth Detention Center
80 Duryea Street, Newark, NJ 07103
- Consequences of Crime Component
- Workshop & Lecture Component