05 Aug ESSEX COUNTY EXECUTIVE DIVINCENZO ANNOUNCES REPAVING PROJECT ON BELLEVILLE AVENUE IN BELLEVILLE IS COMPLETE Repaving County Roads Enhances Safety and Improves Quality of Life
Belleville, NJ – Essex County Executive Joseph N. DiVincenzo, Jr. announced that the repaving project on Belleville Avenue in Belleville is complete. The road was included in the 2015 Essex County Roadway Resurfacing Program, which is part of the DiVincenzo Administration’s initiative to enhance safety on the roads and the quality of life by modernizing infrastructure.
“Essex residents and motorists rely on our intricate network of roads to get to work, go to school and carry out their daily errands. My administration is committed to making sure our infrastructure is in the most modern condition so that our daily lives are not interrupted,” DiVincenzo said. “We apologize for any inconvenience the construction may cause, but the end result will improve our quality of life by making it easier and safer to travel through Essex County,” he added.
“As the chairperson for the Freeholders Economic Development Committee, I am always supportive of projects such as this because they are a tremendous help to our local businesses and help people and commerce move through our County,” Freeholder Cynthia Toro said.
Repaving portions of the 1.8-mile stretch of Belleville Avenue from Washington Street to Willet Street in Bloomfield was funded through a grant from the Community Development Block Grant program and the Essex County Capital Budget. Other roads that were repaved through this program include the following:
- Nutley: Centre Street from St. Mary’s Place to Washington Avenue
- Nutley/Belleville: Union Avenue from Centre Street to Greylock Parkway
- Orange: High Street from Washington Street to Main Street
- Orange: Main Street from Valley Road/Northfield Avenue to High Street
In addition, Essex County is using a $5 million grant from the Annual Transportation Program to resurface the following roads:
- Fairfield: Fairfield Road from Route 46 to Passaic Avenue
- Irvington: Springfield Avenue from Becker Terrace to South 20th Street
- South Orange: Wyoming Avenue from Luddington Road to South Orange Avenue
- Verona/West Orange: Lakeside Avenue/Pleasant Valley Way from Bloomfield Avenue Eagle Rock Avenue
- West Orange: Pleasant Valley Way from Eagle Rock Avenue to Mt. Pleasant Avenue/Route 10
- Livingston: Walnut Street from Eisenhower Parkway to South Orange Avenue
The project includes milling the old surface off the road, repairing broken curbing, improving handicapped ramps and crosswalk areas at intersections, laying new pavement and painting striping on the new surface.
Smith Sondy Asphalt Construction Co. from Wallington was awarded a competitively bid contract for $6.6 million to perform the road work. The project is being supervised by the Essex County Department of Public Works.